Sedation dentistry also called as Sleep dentistry is conducted for a comfortable and easy dental procedure experience. Some patients may shy away from a dentist appointment due to tedious and complex procedures. Others may be anxious to get operated due to particular equipment sounds, anesthesia smell and the overall complex appearance of the dental clinic. Sedation dentistry enables an efficient, convenient and speedy dental procedure.
Sedation Dentistry Benefits
1. Easy and effective dental treatment for individuals who are sensitive about needles and other equipments.
2. Patient is sufficiently conscious to respond the dentist instructions. This solves two purposes, one is the dentist can perform the procedure without any disturbance and secondly a painless procedure for the patients.
3. Individual being operated does not remember 90% or more of what happened in the procedure; this prevents retention of bad dental experience, if any.
4. Due to loss of fear and positive results the patient becomes confident about taking a dental treatment.
5. The pulse, oxygen level and blood pressure of the patient are consistently monitored throughout the procedure. This is essentially helpful for individuals who suffer from diabetes or any other serious disorder.
6. The required sedation level can be altered as per the patient’s preference. The patient is conscious enough to tell the dentist about the degree of numbness required.
7. The dentists who deal in sedation dentistry are highly trained and recipients of a certification by the state dental board. This makes the procedure safe, reliable and accountable.
8. There could be cases in which patients faint during the procedure due to fear of needles. Sedation dentistry prevents such cases; the patient is partly unconscious and unable to interpret any kind of stress and pain.
9. The effectiveness of the procedure is intact because the patient is calm and the dentist can perform easily. There are no bad effects after the procedure is over and the patient feels energetic, just like waking up after a good night sleep.
10. The procedure is faster due to loss of pain and it evidently helps in reducing the number of visits to the dentist. The whole dental treatment is easily done without any complications.
11. No Gag reflexes because the patient can hardly feel any irritation and sting during the treatment. There is no irritation and pain.
12. This procedure is especially beneficial for patients who have suffered from high blood pressure, diabetes, heart attack or any other serious ailments. The advantage being the patients cannot interpret anything and hence they do not panic.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
I. IV Sedation (Intravenous conscious sedation)
Intravenous sedation means sedating the patient by passing anti-anxiety medication such as benzodiazepine in the veins. The patient becomes partly unconscious. Although the patients can respond they cannot understand anything.
Thin needle wrapped in a soft plastic tube is injected in the patient’s veins
The tube remains on the veins site and the needle is removed
Anti-anxiety medication is passed in the body through the tube
Patient goes in a state of complete relaxation/sleep. The procedure is conducted
Dentists may use Ametop/Emla cream before injecting the needle for patients who are phobic to needles. This cream also creates numbness – that is a no pain status.
II. Oral Conscious Sedation
Pills /Liquid such as Halcoin and Midazolam are given to sedate the patient. In Oral conscious sedation the patient is conscious, although in a relaxed state of mind. The procedure for Oral Conscious Sedation is same as IV Sedation.
III. Nitrous Oxide Sedation
Nitrous oxide also known as laughing gas is used to sedate patients. This is different from the above two sedation methods as the patient goes into ecstasy and relaxation both.
Dentists put on music for patients so they enjoy their state of relaxation.Patient is unable to interpret time due to nitrous oxide and pleasantly surprised to see the positive result of the fast and easy procedure
This procedure is especially beneficial for patients with a history of hypersensitive Disorders and traumatic dental experiences.
Sleep Dentistry – Dental Procedure Simplified!
Dental surgery can be uncomfortable for individuals due to its complex and time-consuming nature. With Sleep dentistry, both these hurdles are eliminated. Now, anyone can easily get a dental surgery done in less time with brilliant results.
No more procrastination, No more lengthy procedures, With Sleep dentistry now you can happily say – I simply got it done!